Calling crime in Baltimore 'unacceptable,' City Council members vow to force change
Leroy N. Soetoro
2022-05-22 22:31:32 UTC
https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/baltimore-city-council-crime-police-
department-plan-costello-stokes-schleifer-scott

BALTIMORE (WBFF) — In an unprecedented move, six Baltimore City Council
members said Thursday that crime in the city is out of control and called
on the mayor's office, the Police Department and the Baltimore City
State's Attorney's Office to immediately develop plans to curb the
violence.

“We need something now that is going to help us from now at least through
September,” said Council Vice Chair Sharon Green Middleton, who represents
Northwest Baltimore. “Something that is the responsibility of the
Baltimore City Police Department, and the mayor and our administration.
Please answer our calls of plea at this time.”

The council members said they intend to use the council's power over the
city budget to push for immediate action on the crime issue. They want a
plan by June 3.

Council Letter to Baltimore City State's Attorney by Tim on Scribd

https://www.scribd.com/document/574970487/Council-Letter-to-Baltimore-
City-State-s-Attorney#from_embed

"The state of public safety in our city at this time is unacceptable. We
are currently on track for 350 homicides this year," said Councilman Eric
Costello, who represents downtown and the Inner Harbor. "In short, the
communities and the people that we represent expect a sense of urgency
about this issue. With upcoming budget hearings this year, we intend to
demonstrate that sense of urgency around this issue."

The council members pointed to recent high-profile violence including the
deaths of a pregnant woman and her fiance in East Baltimore. Doctors at
Johns Hopkins hospital managed to save the baby's life before the mother
died. Just last week, a quadruple shooting was followed by a quintuple
shooting in a matter of hours. The week ended with a 17-year-old student
boxer being gunned down after his junior prom.

"There are a number of opportunities to have a more visible presence in
our communities. Many of those things are outlined as components of the
short-term crime plan we are requesting,” Costello said. “Specifically the
utilization of overtime spending, ramping up civilianization efforts --
which I’m sure you’re aware is something this council has been talking
about for years and making formal requests of our federal and state law
enforcement partners to ensure that they are giving us the resources we
need. Because we are currently not in control of this situation so we need
that support.”

Costello said he agreed with Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott's long-term
plans to use social services to attack the root causes of the violence,
but something needs to be done differently in the short term to stop the
bloodshed.

https://www.scribd.com/document/574970613/City-Council-letter-to-
Baltimore-Police-Department#from_embed

The council members behind the effort are Costello, Middleton, Issac
"Yitzy" Schleifer, Robert Stokes, Antonio Glover and Mark Conway.

In response, Scott defended his approach to crime, saying he has been
working "tirelessly to tackle this issue from all angles." Scott did not
specifically address the group's concerns in the statement.

"Sustainably reducing violence isn’t easy, and despite what some people
would have us believe. There is no quick fix or magic button that will
stop people from shooting each other overnight. As the Council is keenly
aware, I remain focused on doing everything in my power to address the
violence," Scott said in the statement.

Councilman Zeke Cohen, who did not attend the news conference, issued a
statement supporting his colleagues' general aims.

"Every Councilmember and every citizen in this city supports increased
urgency to reduce violence," said Cohen, who represents Southeast
Baltimore.

FOX45 has reached out to the other council members for comment but has yet
to receive a response from most of them.

The council members addressed a wide range of issues concerning crime in
the city such as problems with a large number of Citiwatch cameras and
staff shortages among both police officers and prosecutors.

The Baltimore Police Department currently has a staff shortage amid a
competitive labor market. Despite having the highest starting salary for
police officers in the state, the department is about 300 officers short
at the moment. The department recently began having specialized officers
like homicide detectives working as patrol officers once a week to cover
the staff shortage.

"Our constituency, they want to see our police department. They want to
see them walking. They want that partnership. We go to meetings and it’s
the first thing they’re always talking about. 'Where is our police
officer?'" said Middleton Green, who represents Northwest Baltimore.

Scott has announced a number of measures to streamline police operations
such as hiring civilian investigators and redirecting some service calls
to telephone or online reports. However, the council members stressed
while those ideas have merit, what the city really needs is manpower.

"We have some of the best detectives in the country, but their caseload is
way too high. It’s far beyond the national average, we need more
detectives working these cases so that more cases are getting solved,"
said Schleifer, who represents Northwest Baltimore.

Stokes, who represents the area of East Baltimore where the pregnant woman
was killed, is advocating for Maryland State Police Officers to supplement
the Baltimore City police force. Scott has not commented on the idea.

"Give us more resources because police cannot do this by themselves. It is
out of control. They shoot during the daytime. They shoot at night,"
Stokes said.

Members said while the police department is the primary agency in the
fight against crime, the City State's Attorney must also be part of the
solution.

https://www.scribd.com/document/574970645/Baltimore-City-Council-letter-
to-Mayor-s-Office-of-Neighborhood-Safety-and-Engagement#from_embed

City State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby has advocated for not prosecuting so-
called low-level crimes. Her opponents in her reelection campaign have
said her more liberal criminal justice policies have contributed to a rise
in crime in the city. City leaders have been extremely reluctant to
directly criticize Mosby or her policies. Thursday's move by the council
members, while measured in their criticism of Mosby's office, represented
a major change.

"We think that’s part of the discussion, part of the larger discussion,
the focus right now is on that short-term crime plan and stopping the
bleeding," Costello said.

As of Thursday morning, Baltimore police reported that 125 people had been
killed in homicides so far this year, a 4.1% increase when compared with
the same time period last year. Also Thursday, Baltimore police reported
259 nonfatal shootings so far this year, a 6.5% increase when compared
with the same time period last year.

"People are calling our offices crying out and it is time that the police
department sit down and give us an immediate plan,” said Green Middleton.
"It is the responsibility of the police department. Safety is our number
one priority in this city. So yes, this is just a professional cry-out
that we need immediate help."
--
"LOCKDOWN", left-wing COVID fearmongering. 95% of COVID infections
recover with no after effects.

ballots. Report voter fraud: ***@mail.house.gov

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.

BeamMeUpScotty
2022-05-23 00:09:40 UTC
Post by Leroy N. Soetoro
[...]
You notice they wait until election season to do something that "they
say" will give relief from the problem. Why didn't they do it last year?

Too little too late, get rid of the politicians who FAIL "we the people".

All of them.
--
-That's karma-
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The only way to fight the STAGFLATION would be to shrink the size and
taxing and spending of the Government combined with raising the interest
rates to their NATURAL self determining rates and cease the printing of
worthless money rather than the FAKE INTEREST RATES and worthless
counterfeit dollars created by the DEMOCRATS under Obama/Biden-2008 and
Biden/Obama-2020....

The problem isn't "the economy stupid", the problem is
*the stupid government manipulated economy* .